This is a method of braiding. Usually, it is used for braids, ropes and decorating various objects, and braids are also used for braiding the tails of horses. Braids were not just a hairstyle, they carried a deep meaning and said a lot about the owner. One look at the hair could determine a person’s social status, whether he was married or in mourning. A girl could tell by looking at her hair if she was old enough to get married. Some options could only belong to a certain tribe or nation.
Features of braids
The history of braids goes back to the African ethnic peoples. Tuaregs, Somalis, Bedouins and many others used this method for their hairstyles. They were then adopted by Asian ethnic groups and the inhabitants of North and South America, including the Cherokees, Incas, Mayans and Aztecs. The first images of brads could be found in the famous images from the reign of the First Dynasty of Pharaoh Menes.
The fashions changed over time. Braids were worn, then they receded into the background.
The modern version of braiding originated from street athletes, who braided them because they were unpretentious in maintenance and did not interfere with various sports. Subsequently, the braids were noticed by celebrities and moved on the catwalks and red carpets, after which they won the recognition of people of all ages.
The highlight of braids with kanekalon
As we already mentioned, these braids are a type of African braids, based on the French weave, where the upper part fits tightly to the head.
Traditional braids are braided with the addition of a material – Kanekalon.
- Kanekalon is a natural substance created from organic algae, which is similar in structure to hair. There is also an artificial analog of kanekalon, it is less durable and its quality leaves much to be desired.
- Kanekalon is a universal material, it can be washed, curled and a variety of hairstyles can be done with it. The fiber in the manufacture undergoes a special heat treatment in a furnace. Due to this, the material does not crumple and does not get tangled in the process of creating and wearing the hairstyle.
So what are the pros and cons to extraordinary braids?
+ Versatility. Such braids are suitable for everyone: men, women and even children. For example, the American rapper RostMalone has long used them as part of his image, and young billionaire Kylie Jenner often uses this hairstyle for beach holidays.
+ It doesn’t matter what color your hair is. You can pick up Kanekalon as a natural shade, or colored, or in general – rainbow and with imitation ombré.
+ Braids have a variety of options for braiding. It can be a confident boxer plaits or romantic French braiding. It just depends on your preference.
– Not all braids are done quickly, when they are small afro braids, you will have to sit with a stylist for 6 to 8 hours.
– Complex braids are best left to a professional. If we are talking about patterned braids, do not spare time to find a master, because only he is able to competently perform the work.
– The result is not long-lasting. Unfortunately, the number of plaits depends on the duration of the braid. If they are 2-4, the result will last no more than 10-14 days, and if the afro braids, then from 1.5 to 2 months.